Flying with Us
We operate on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays throughout the year (including outside term time). In order to fly with us, you will first need to join the club at studentsunionucl.org/clubs-societies/gliding-club. If you are not a current UCL student, you will need to sign up for affiliate membership through the Students' Union UCL. Once your membership has been confirmed, head over to the forums and sign up for an account there. When selecting a forum username, please use something sensible so we know who you are! Send us your username in an e-mail to email@example.com and we will give you access to our booking forums where you can sign up for flying.
Trial Lessons 2017
If you wish to participate in the trial lessons during the first three weekends of term, then please visit here to sign up.
You pay an annual membership which is valid until the weekend before the Welcome Fair (which happens during the first week of the academic year). Once membership is paid, you are responsible for your transport to/from the airfield and your flying costs. Associate membership is available from Students' Union UCL for all staff and alumni of UCL as well as any persons currently studying at a UK university.
- Membership for UCL Students
- Associate Membership
- Students' Union UCL Associate Membership Cost + £60
- Winch Launch
- Soaring Fees
- UCL Owned Gliders: Free!
Chilterns Gliding Centre Owned Gliders: £0.15 per minute (for ASK21 and ASK13 aircraft).
We offer trial lessons during the three weekends immediately after the Welcome Fair (which happens during the first week of the academic year). These lessons are aimed at UCL students who have never tried gliding before to give it a go. The £50 fee includes transport to/from the airfield on the day as well as a 20 minute flight or 2 shorter flights, and a £10 voucher towards future flying fees if you join the club. More details can be found on the signup form here, or feel free to drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about trial lessons.
What to Bring
- The airfield accepts cash, UK issued debit cards or cheques. Please ensure you bring enough money for your flying as well as transport to/from the airfield. All flying must be paid for on the day of flight.
- If you own a flying logbook, it is essential that you bring it down to the airfield every time you fly. It allows instructors to see how much flying you have done and to continue through the syllabus. For those that do not have a log book, they are for sale from us at £5.
- Food and Drink
- Although there is food and drink sold on the airfield, the service is not guaranteed. The best advice would be to bring your own food to ensure that you are fed through the day.
- Multiple layers are essential! We recommend somewhere around 6. This should include something that is waterproof on the outer layer. During the winter months, it can get very cold on the airfield and it is always possible to remove some layers if you are too warm. A warm hat, gloves and scarf would be advisable as well. Shorts/trousers for everyone as you will need to climb into and out of the glider, with the control stick sitting in between your legs. Finally, the airfield can get rather muddy, so wear something that you won't mind getting a bit dirty.
- Waterproof flat soled shoes are ideal for the airfield. This way your feet stay dry and will in turn keep you warm.
- Although we don't see much sun in London, it is essential you have a pair of sunglasses. This allows you to see out of the glider at all times and avoid a collision.
Where to go
You must have signed up on the forum to go gliding. We meet at Marylebone Station in the seating area in front of the departure screens. Meeting time is 7:30am. This allows ample time for people to purchase tickets as well as any last minute food. If you are running late, make sure you call and let us know. Telephone numbers are available by clicking on usernames on the forum. We take the 7:57 train to Wendover on the Aylesbury via Amersham service and then use the local taxi service at the station to get to the airfield. If you wish to drive to the airfield, please let us know beforehand. HP22 5PB will get you next to the airfield (there is no postcode for the airfield itself).